NICARAGUA - MADERAS VILLAGE
My home away from home. I went four times within an 8 month time frame, clearly I am addicted. Everytime I go to Nica I have the intention of traveling the whole country but somehow I end up just staying put at Maderas. Next time... theres always next time.
WHERE I STAY
The perfect place to relax, unwind, surf, eat healthy, and be around creatives.
TIPS ABOUT MADERAS
- 2.5 hour drive from Managua airport.
- This is not walking distance from any towns. You are a 25 minute drive from San Juan Del Sur. Once at Maderas, there is only the beach and a hotel down the road with a pool that you can walk to.
- Maderas has their own "taxi" service. They have two trucks that are available to take you into town ( San Juan ) if you arrange it. Rent your own car or motorcycle if you want freedom to explore ( most people don't )
- Very social atmosphere. Be ready to climb out of your shell if you are shy. If you are looking for a quiet place to be alone, this might not be the place for you.
- Dinners are with everyone staying at the Village at 7:45pm. This is my favorite part of staying there. Most nights you end up staying up until 2am talking with fellow guests and residents.
- Beautiful music studio on the property. A lot of musicians will come here to record their album.
- Great outdoor yoga studio. Many yoga retreats are held here.
- Group activities planned, such as Catamaran day. This is always the favorite amongst guests. You leave the village around noon, and spend the day on the catamaran. You are taken to a secret beach that you hang out at for 1.5 hours. Yummy ceviche and snacks are provided on the boat once you arrive at the beach. ( And loads of drinks too ).
- This is the beach that is in front of Maderas Village.
- Popular surf spot ( also for beginners, so can be very crowded ).
- It is a 7 minute walk through the jungle to arrive at the beach.
- The beach is relatively small
- Three beach bars right next to each other that serve food and alcohol.
- At low tide you are able to go for a little adventure around the rocks to other beaches (just make sure to come back before high tide, or else you're stuck! )
- BEST PART? Most epic sunsets I have ever seen in my entire life....
- Beautiful long beach.
- Great surf spot
- Beach bar with the amazing Rum Passionfruit and ceviche
- Hammocks everywhere
- Must rent Motorcycle or ATV to get here ( or if you have a car ). Rentals are in San Juan Del Sur. San Juan is relatively small so you will find the rental places easily.
- Only good for surfing. There is NOTHING here for anyone that doesnt surf.
- Another surf spot
WHERE TO EAT
The village has AMAZING food. So fresh. My favorites ? Burrito for breakfast, chickpea salad for lunch.
This is an American brewery/bar in San Juan Del Sur. Fun place to have drinks and eat mexican food.
My favorite lunch/dinner spot. Its a little hut along the side of the dirt road that is run by one old lady. She cooks everything herself. Be prepared to wait for 2 hours to get your food, but it is well worth the wait. Here you will find Chicken, Lobster, and Shrimp. Sometimes Maderas will make a plan to have dinner here instead of at the village.
There is a pizza spot that used to be run by this Italian man who supposedly made the BEST pizzas. It was a big tragedy when he died, so a local named Abe took over the pizza joint and brought it back to life. When I was there last they were only open two nights a week, and its such a blast! Great place to hang out, drink, and socialize. Maderas will sometimes do dinner nights there as well.